1. The era of being lazy and dependent is over. You are now a burden to your parents and hence you have to go into the world and strive to survive on your own. You will work hard just to put food on the table. There will be no space for laziness because the consequences will be upbeat.
2. Learn to get what you want through your own effort. Don’t wait for people to solve your problems. Nevertheless, never pass a free offer of assistance
3. Procrastination will drain your life. It is one of the biggest time wasters, entertaining it reaps bitter results and pulls you further away from your dreams. One way to conquer it is by focusing on the results you expect rather than the work to be done. Don’t think ahead, just think of now, don’t plan to do, start doing
4. Don’t complain. Another big time waster. Either do something about it or shut up and move on. Also worrying doesn’t change your future
5. Understand that there is life as an individual. Happiness should come from within. It should neither depend on other people nor the world. Learn to make yourself happy. Loving others so much and deriving your happiness from them is the biggest burden you can bestow on them and they will ultimately disappoint you. Always find something to make you laugh
6. Money is not the panacea to all your problems but it surely makes life better. If you focus on money, you don’t get money, focus on adding value to yourself and others, it will bring money
7. It’s time to make you dreams come true. The dreams you’ve had since you were a small baby will remain fantasies if you don’t start to pursue them. Start doing what you are passionate about and you will always have the willingness and energy to get things done. Choose a career you will never have to work a day in your life.
8. Have a vision, stay on course for the long term and you will achieve success.
9. Dedicate yourself to continuously learning new things and amassing knowledge. Learn from others, embrace new ideas and innovations. Focus on learning stuff and the process of acquiring knowledge rather than getting A’s or impressing others. Learn things systematically, don’t expect an overnight transformation.
10. Nurture kindness, it costs nothing yet it has a very positive impact on your life and happiness.
11. Believe in persistence. Calvin Coolidge said; “Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not, nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent, Genius will not, unrewarded genius is almost a proverb, Education will not, the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent”. Also, hard work outdoes talent
12. Learn to say no, you don’t have time for absolutely everything. Stop explaining and start doing, you don’t owe people your time so they can validate you
13. The secret to success is to make friends with genuine people who are passionate about things you love and who have achieved what you wish to achieve and are ahead of you. People who go places are those that inspire and connect with others
14. Ask tough questions, don’t beat around the bush or soft peddle your questions, be upfront
15. Define yourself, don’t let the world define you. Be positive and focus on the things that you have, not everybody will appreciate you. Associate with those that do. Be proud of who you are and where you come from. Comedian Bill Cosby once said, “I don’t know the secret to success but the secret to failure is trying to please everyone”. You’re lovable with all your flaws and you don’t have to be perfect
16. Mastery follows consistency, do not break the chain of consistency. Master a valuable skill, stand out and others will pay for your services
17. Set goals out of your comfort zone and strive to achieve them. All successful people have one thing in common, they put themselves out there. You will never be successful if you sit down and expect things to happen overnight. Even the Almighty says ‘Faith without action is dead’
18. If you always do what you’ve always done, you’ll always get what you’ve always got. Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results is insanity. Embrace change to see better results.
19. Time flies so fast. Stop existing and start living. Respect time, it’s limited highly, uniquely and equitably.
20. Put your Almighty Being first. Believe in him and believe in yourself. For non-believers, believe in yourself.