KUCCPS 2020 intake is currently under preparation but the application window for 2019 KCSE candidates is not open yet. However, the portal is likely to open within the next 7 days to allow students to revise their program selections. In the meantime, let’s get a better understanding of KUCCPS, the application process and much more
What is KUCCPS?
The Kenya Universities and Colleges Central Placement Service (KUCCPS) is a body corporate established under the Universities act of 2012 that is mandated, among other functions, to coordinate the placement of government-sponsored students to universities and colleges.
KUCCPS has the largest database of universities and colleges in Kenya and all the eligible programs they offer since it registers all the institutions eligible for students’ placement, a necessary part of data collection.
As of this year 2020, it offers placement in 542-degree programs, 216 diploma programs, 112 certificate programs, and 145 artisan programs from 69 universities and 146 colleges.
The KUCCPS portal is divided into 3 sections; Student Portal, Principal’s Portal and Institutions Portal. The Student portal is what we will focus on today but allow me to give you an idea of what the other two portals are and how they coordinate with the student portal.
The Principal’s portal enables principals of high schools to register form 4 students based on their index numbers and their first career selections before they sit for the KCSE Exams. This is to enable direct first-time placement of students who score above C- in their exams.
The Institution portal allows universities and colleges to add available programs to the systems and the slots available. Registered institutions must be accredited by institution bodies Commission of University Education (CUE) for universities and Technical and Vocational Education and Training Authority (TVETA) for Colleges
The student Portal
This part of the KUCCPS site allows students to select their career choices and revise them in case they have to. Typically, students were allowed to select their first career choices while in high school using KUCCPS application forms whose data is later inputted into the KUCCPS portal.
Once the results are out and the KUCCPS first placement has been done, the portal is reopened again to allow students to revise their career choices if they are not satisfied.
KUCCPS application procedure is rather simple. First, you need to log into the student portal.
1. Visit students.kuccps.net
2. Log in using the following details
- Username: Full
- Year: Your KCSE year
- Password: KCPE index number or Birth Certificate Number
3. Once you log in, the portal dashboard will appear. The dashboard is pretty straightforward and easy to navigate.
4. To check available programs, select the Programmes Tab
5. To check programs provided by a specific institution, first select the Institutions Tab, Find your institution of choice then check the programs offered.
6. A course basket is provided for you to collect courses, which you find interesting.
7. Once you have a list of courses you prefer, arrange them separately on a piece of paper according to passion and preferences. Take note of their Codes
8. Click the Application/Revision Tab
9. Input the Programmes Codes in order and confirm.
10. You will be prompted to pay a processing fee of 1500 for first time application or 1000 for revision application.
11. Payment procedure
- Go to your Lipa na M-PESA Menu
- Select Pay Bill
- Business Number: 820201
- Account Number: KCSE Year and KCSE Index Number (no space)
- Amount: Ksh 1500 (First time) or Ksh 1000 (Revision)
- Enter your M-PESA PIN and Send.
12. Finally, ensure you keep your M-Pesa transaction code in an accessible place since it will be required whenever you wish to make any subsequent changes.
Requirements for Application
KUCCPS students applicants eligible for placement must have fulfilled the following conditions
- Kenyan Citizen
- Sponsorship will only be eligible for immediate KCSE students preceding the selection of placement. Meaning you must be a fresh KCSE graduate
- Must have a C+ and above for degree programs application or a C- for a diploma course.
- Applicants with an overall grade of C+ and above can select a maximum of 8 choices (Degrees or Diplomas)
- Applicants with C- or C can select a maximum of 6 diploma choices.
- Choices 1a, 1b, 1c must be similar programs while 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6 can be any program.
Note that all programs have minimum subject requirements. Thus, you can only apply for a course whose minimum requirements you meet. However, the selection and placement will depend on the overall performance, demand of programs and the available capacity.
How to check degree, diploma or course selected
This also simply involves logging into your account using your index number as the username, year of KCSE, and Birth certificate number or KCPE index number as your password.
Once you are in, you should see a display notification of the program you have been placed in.
Following the successful placement of students by the KUCCPS, all institutions involved will be required to come up with Admission lists for students who have been placed into their programs. This list comes as a supplementary document that confirms your placement in a specific college or university. You will receive an admission letter, which you will use to register as a student in the institution in your first year of the program.
NB. If you fail to secure placement during the first revision of courses, here are great tips to get you sure placement during KUCCPS second revision.