Online writing is one of the most popular self-employment opportunity in Kenya with hundreds of thousands of young people making a livelihood out of it.
This might be attributed to the fact that it is very easy and cheap to start as long as you have access to a computer.
In addition, many young people have built careers without employment just through online writing.
So, if you’ve been interested in this lucrative opportunity, here is all you need to know to start online writing in Kenya
There are three ways to start online writing in Kenya; register an account, buy an account or become a hired writer.
1. Becoming a hired writer
The simplest and the most recommended means for newbies. It involves working under an account holder who pays a share of earnings depending on your work. To
When you settle on an account holder, contact them and organize a meeting whether in person or over a call. During the meeting, discuss the following important issues
- CPP: Cost Per Page payment.
- Subjects you are good at and subjects you are not.
- Work schedule: when you are most available to work and when not. This will help you to balance your studies/work with part-time online writing.
Normally, the account owner will want to gauge your writing skills before hiring you. They might ask for samples of any previous writing jobs or give you a test job, which they don’t pay.
As noted earlier, starting as a hired writer requires little investment besides having a laptop. Also, the technical aspects of running an account, adhering to all rules and meeting all the deadlines are left to the account owner.
- You will be paid peanuts
- Stressful. Your boss can wake you up in the middle of the night before an exam to do a revision.
2. Buying an account
If you have capital, you can buy an established account and start writing. This route is popular among people who have worked under an account holder for some time and would like to upgrade. While working as a hired writer, you will realize that your boss is paying you peanuts as compared to what he’s making. With your little acquired experience, you can gather some capital or unite with friends to purchase a good account.
Accounts for sale are normally advertised using the normal channels such as Facebook, WhatsApp and campus noticeboards. You can also contact friends or even ask your boss to refer you to a good account broker. However, be very careful, naïve people have been conned a lot by people purporting to be account sellers. To avoid being conned here are quick steps to follow.
- Meet in person (A MUST)
- Meet at a venue of your choosing. Ensure it is a public place.
- Go with a friend or two. The more the better (Never go alone)
- Thoroughly inspect the account before anything. Check jobs history, fines, payouts, messages, etc to ensure the account is healthy.
If okay, initiate ownership transfer. Ensure you get
- Account login details
- Account’s email,
- Email password,
- Email recovery phone number, sim card included
- Ensure it’s not a secondary email to another email.
- When changing the details of the account, do it in a cyber of your choice and make your friends watch out.
This might seem like a joke but failure to be vigilant and to secure the above details exposes the account to repossession of your account.
- Requires high initial investment.
- You can be conned when purchasing the account.
- Very risky; if the quality of writing differs from the previous account owner, your account can be closed
- Might be stressful if the number of jobs being done is high; will require constant checking.
3. Register an online writing account.
This route is hardest for amateurs. It not only involves registering an account on a writing platform but also meeting all the requirements set. Bypassing the requirements stage is normally the hardest part. Why?
- Registration can only be done at periods set by the website’s administration.
- Most times, you need a degree to register an account and for sites that don’t require, stiff competition for jobs from degree holders is unavoidable.
- You will be required to write a sample paper, which undergoes a very strict quality review which, unfortunately, most people don’t manage through.
However, if you manage to pass all the requirements, then you’ve just won yourself a golden ticket. Here is a review of some of the very best online writing accounts.
- Strict rules bar easy entry
- Hard to get jobs as a new writer
- Most jobs you get will have a low CPP
Where to meet Kenyan Writers
Various groups exist on social media platforms where writers and other online jobs professionals interact. In these groups, you’ll meet account sellers, buyers and those in search for writers or writing jobs. Therefore depending on your current status, these groups help you meet the right people.
However, it is always prudent to never trust anybody when money, account and work is to be transacted. Use escrow services when payments are to be made. Now, here are links to the groups.
- Professional Academia Research Writers
- Online Article Writing Kenya (Original)
- Academic Research Writers
- Academia Research Writer (Original)
- Academic Writers Home
- Online Article Writers Kenya
- Find out others Here
List of popular writing websites
- Homework For You
Finally I would like to attach a zipped file containing three sample jobs I have done before. Please download and extract the files on your computer to view them.